Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

HAPPY 4TH JULY 2012, INDEPENDENCE DAY

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO MY AMERICAN FAMILY AND FRIENDS


10 THINGS I LIKE ABOUT AMERICA 

1. FAMILY
My maternal grandmother is American. She comes from Virginia. She was a well known socialite in her 20s and 30s, until she married grandfather Thomas and moved to Africa to do their philanthropic work. When grandpa died she moved back to Virginia to work in Adult Education. She passed away at the ripe age of 94 in 2007.

2. PRESIDENT OBAMA
I support Obama, and say each to their own. But as a personal choice, I am happy that America has evolved enough for a man of colour to become President of the USA. I enjoy watching him and listening to him, I believe he is an intelligent, eloquent and well meaning man. Given a chance I believe he could do a lot not just for America but the world.

3. THE STATUE OF LIBERTY
I think it is a beautiful piece of art and the way it stands sky high at the harbour is just splendid. I also like what it represents in terms of freedom and hope. Many immigrants talk about the first time they came to America and saw the Statue of liberty as they approached the harbour.

4. HOLLYWOOD
I love Hollywood especially the golden age of Hollywood during the studio era. As a kid I always wanted to be an all singing, dancing movie star like Judy Garland, Ginger Rogers and all the other wonderful ladies of MGM. I loved Bette Davis and Jean Harlow movies. I could watch all these old movies all day. I was delighted that The Artist did so well as it was a throwback to the golden era. These days I like the big blockbuster movies especially science fiction and superhero movies.



5. NEW YORK AND BROADWAY
I love New York. As the song goes “It’s a wonderful town”. I went to New York for the first time in 2007 on the 4th July because I wanted to see the Macy’s day parade. I was not disappointed. Much busier than I imagined and everything is so big. Despite living near the West End in London, I still went to three Broadway plays, RENT, The Colour Purple and CHICAGO.
 
6. DISNEY
Who did not grow up as a child watching Disney cartoons and movies. I love Mickey, Minnie and Donald because they are part of my childhood. The Disney movies were always so happy and full of hope, a firm favourite was Pollyanna. I have been to Disneyland Florida and I loved every minute of it. Some of the rides I went on twice.

7. BARBECUES
My extended family loves barbecues. We even have them at weddings! I love a good old American barbecue, its big, loud, fun and full of laughter. I do believe some places in America have the best meat in the world. Yum!!

8. APPLE PIE
I love fresh apple pie and my mum learnt how to make it from scratch from my grandma and great aunt Polly. I still don’t know how to make it. But I remember in my childhood, the delicious aroma from the kitchen when my mum was baking apple pie.

9. PARADES
I love pomp and ceremony and celebrations galore! Britain does traditional pomp and ceremony best judging from the Jubilee celebrations in 2012 and the wedding of Prince William and Catherine (Kate) Middleton, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. However I love the fact Americans are not shy of celebrating even the smallest local achievement by giving a parade. They are proud of any achievement and literally want to shout it from the rooftop. I love that and admire it. Someone give me a parade please!

10. SUPERHEROES
There is something about superheroes and their blockbuster action movies that can give even a grown up hope. I love the fact that they make us believe that good will always conquer over evil. I loved Marvel’s Avengers Assemble movie, I went to see it twice and enjoyed it tremendously. In homage to the 1st Avenger, Captain America here is a sweet video of a military dad surprising his son on his birthday wearing a Captain America costume – SO SWEET!


Military Dad Surprises Son On His Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment